The Oak Room is an imposing limestone building situated in St Peter Street, Tiverton and was formerly a United Reformed Church until 2012. At this time the congregation moved further up the road to join with the Methodist church and the building was put up for sale.
In 2014 the current owner, Sue Searle, bought the church with a view to converting it into a cafe, art gallery and wedding venue.
There has been a church on the site since 1660 but the church building currently standing was built in 1831 at a cost of £4683! The heritage significance of the building adds to the grandeur of the street. St Peter Street has been described as ‘the finest street in Tiverton, and one of the most unspoilt Georgian residential streets in Devon.’ and so the Oak Room is an important part of the townscape and forms a major contribution to the streetscape at the lower end of St Peter Street.
Outside, the main door is a large sliding arched door with an ornate lamp hanging outside.
Inside, the church is an imposing hall with high ceilings and an oval balcony supported on pillars. At the back of this hall is a large ornate pipe organ that is is full working order (ideal for weddings!). In the basement is a large room which opens out onto a terrace overlooking the River Exe and the old cottages of the West Exe part of Tiverton with rolling hills beyond. The basement has feature windows and stone and brick supporting arches which add to the character of the room. This room is used as a cafe and seminar room.